Tuesday, August 15, 2006

"My Big Bed!"

I wish photos could show exactly how excited Cole was to get a big boy bed. He was literally bouncing off the walls while he and daddy put it together. He said "my big bed" over and over, and, when it was close to finished, exclaimed, "It's perfect!" I have to admit my eyes welled up at the thought of him transitioning from his crib to a bed.

My tears ended, however, as naptime began. Rob put him in the big bed and explained that he needed to stay there for the entire nap. That last about 30 seconds. Before Rob was even down the stairs, Cole got up, opened the door, and yelled "Hi!" Supernanny said on one episode to not talk or make eye contact--just put the child back in bed. So we tried that...about 3 dozen times. Every time he got up and stood at the top of staircase (which is gated) and yelled "Hi!"

I then decided, based on another episode of Supernanny, to lie on floor next to his bed where he couldn't see me. Supposedly my presence would make him stay in bed and fall asleep. Instead he leaned over the bed and said "Mommy....Hey Mommy...Mom!...Get up...Mommy get up...I'll give you a time out!" At that point I burst out laughing and decided naptime was over.

About an hour later, Cole was so tired he began to fall apart. So we decided to put the crib back together so he could get some sleep. That night he wanted to sleep in the big bed so we had a big discussion about not getting out of bed and he stayed put all night! Now the score is 2 nights and 1.5 naps in the big bed and 2.5 naps in the crib.


No comments: