Monday, January 14, 2008

The Tao of Morning

It was a rough morning for me. My neck has been bothering me again and it felt like morning came minutes after I finally fell asleep. I’m exhausted from weeks of this uncomfortable sleep. It was already after 8 by the time I showered and dressed. Cole was still in his pjs watching videos and Jay was still sleeping soundly. Thinking about all it takes to get the two boys out the door, I decided we would be late for school. Some mornings I can hurry the routine, but this morning I didn’t have it in me.

So I woke Jay, grabbed his clothes, and brought him downstairs. While I got him a bowl of dry Cheerios and juice, Cole asked me to read a book. “Why not,” I thought. “We’re going to be late anyway.” The three of us sat on the couch, me in the middle, boys on either side, reading Grumpy Bird, my new favorite story. It’s about a bird who wakes up in a grumpy mood. He is so grumpy that he can’t even fly and ends up walking instead. The illustration of the bird is perfect. He has deep creases around the narrow slits of his eyes that make everything about him look grumpy. (I imagine I looked somewhat similar.) One by one, all his friends join him on his walk, until he realizes he isn’t grumpy anymore.

Sitting there, with Cole throwing dried strawberries from his bowl of Special K onto the floor and Jay shrieking “Sta, Sta,” until I acknowledged that there were indeed stars on the page, felt just right. And just like grumpy bird, I found it hard to stay grumpy. So when I turned the last page and Jay cried, “Gan!” I didn’t even pause before starting the story again.

After that things seemed to flow. The boys got dressed to the shoes (leaving pajama tops on—things flowed, but not that well), Jay’s diaper bag was packed, coats were found and put on, and we were out the door. I even stopped to say a cheerful hello to a neighbor walking his dogs as Jay climbed down the front steps himself (“Me, Me!”). After strapping both boys into their carseats, redistributing cereal and juice cups, and starting the car, I was stunned to see that it was only 8:44. We made it to school on time and even got one of the first parking spaces.

Amazing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this story! I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning too. I wish I had Cole and Jay around - I know they would brighten my day!

Robyn said...

I love this story too!! I think I might need to get a copy of that book. :)

Nancy Mirman said...

Heather, I think this story is worthy of submitting to a magazine. I would like to send it to Dr. Laura.

I think you are terrific!

Jennifer Behnke said...

First of all, it's been far too long since I've checked my feeds. I love what you're doing with your blog now.

Second of all, this is so true. It's happened to us many times. And there is no better way to start the day than to center myself physically and spiritually in a big chair with Josh and Sophie and a book. Those Toaists are onto something.