Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Two 35-Pound Writer’s Blocks

The babysitter took the kids out for the morning, so I decided to resurrect an article that a magazine editor was interested in before Jay was born. I reread my query letter and our e-mail exchange, and took a stab at the first few paragraphs. Then these thoughts started banging around my head:

Maybe I should go to the library to do some research…The boys’ books are overdue anyway…Where is the one about a fire truck? I don’t remember seeing it lately...I need to remember that I volunteered to walk with Cole’s class to the fire station on Friday…I also need to bring the checkbook to pay for next month’s tuition…If the babysitter can’t come on Friday, I’ll have to take Jay along…Should I bring the stroller?...Cole will probably end up riding in it while Jay runs around with everyone…

It’s getting close to lunchtime…When are they going to get home?…What do we have besides hot dogs for lunch?…I should tell the babysitter to cut up some fruit. They haven’t had any fruit for a couple of days… Except apple juice… Does that count?... I think we are out of juice…I’ll have to go to the grocery store after the library…And what about dinner?...

As long as I am out I should look for those sun visors that go on the car’s windshield…Is there something to go on carseats so the buckles don’t get so hot?...Maybe Target has them…Or Wal-Mart…Wal-Mart is closer to the library and grocery store…And K-Mart is close by if Wal-Mart doesn’t have them…I can’t believe I looked in three stores that didn’t carry them yesterday… Where do people get them? I see them all the time...Maybe I should drive out to the new Super Wal-Mart…It’s farther away, but then I could get the sunshade and groceries at the same place…Kohl’s opened there too…Cole needs new shirts…He’s growing so fast…I need to sort through their clothes…and toys…

So, my attempt at some professional writing ended up as three errands, two chores, and a couple reminders.

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

Even though we ask each other all the time "what did we do before we had kids, did we watch a lot of TV?" I do miss the ability to do what I wanted to when I wanted to do it with absolutely no distractions whatsoever. When I can do a project without stopping, it is incredibly satisfying. I TOTALLY GET this post, you can't turn off the mom brain!