Monday, May 19, 2008

Deep Blue Musings

It's been well over a month since the last post. Usually the first post after a hiatus would contain pictures and stories about all the fun we have had in the previous month. This time, however, is different. This time I was flattened by major depression.

Looking back, I can see that it had been descending for weeks, slowly seeping into my everyday life. At first it seemed insignificant, a bit of weariness from the stay-at-home-mom grind. I tried to ignore it, but, like a small child, that only made it more persistent.

I lived in a heavy fog that separated me from the rest of the world. I spent all my energy faking normalcy: I got up in the morning, prepared meals, and took out the recycling. All the stuff of my daily routine, yet nothing seemed real.

Gradually, the fog thickened. I began to skip activities and turned the TV to Nick Jr. all morning. Phone calls went straight to voicemail; e-mails went unanswered. I stopped doing laundry, stopped showering, stopped caring.

The fog had engulfed me.

Yet I forged on. In the grips of major depression, I could not see that I was depressed. I only saw that I was failing—as a mom, a wife, a friend, a sister, a daughter. I blamed myself completely and wondered how other moms kept their lives so together. The guilt I felt overwhelmed me.

Then, one morning, after taking the boys to preschool, I was completely unsettled. My mind felt wrapped in sandpaper, my nerves twitchy like live wires in the rain. I wandered aimlessly around the house and took stock of my failures: a long to-do list, dinner dishes in the sink, toys strewn all over the family room, smudgy fingerprints on the windows, etc., etc. It was too much.

I found refuge in my son's closet hideout. There my facade shattered and, finally, I wept.

After a while, I managed to call my husband at work. He picked up the boys at preschool and came home to find me curled in bed crying. I don’t remember much of the next few days, except a feeling of utter exhaustion and complete despair.

Thankfully, my husband took charge. He stayed home from work for days, called both sets of our out-of-state parents to arrange help, made an appointment with my doctor, and took care of the boys. (He is now an official candidate for sainthood.)

It has been one month from that morning in the closet: a month of around-the-clock help with the boys, doctor appointments, adjustments in medication, and waiting. Just waiting.

I can tell I am getting better. Slowly. I can feel the fog thinning and I feel hope that it will soon lift.

I debated whether to blog about this. It would have been easier to post a silly picture of the boys. But I decided there were many reasons to share the past month with you.

Because family and friends have asked me to be honest with them.

Because I have written about my feelings in journals since childhood, but that no longer feels like enough comfort.

Because I am learning a lot about depression and I need a way to distill the information.

Because when I tell people about this experience, I hear personal stories of how depression has affected them or their loved ones.

Because of the community found in blogging and the silence about mental health that still pervades our society.

And, finally, because everyone needs to feel like they are not alone.

8 comments:

Sunshine said...

I think you are right, you will find a lot of other people who had the courage to share the struggle they've had with depression.

Hang in there, you're tough and you have WONDERFUL support system, so it's OK to ask for help whenever you need it.

Yes, you're boys are awesome and amazing boys, but that doesn't mean life is always happy and simple and easy. Take care of yourself too!

Kim Fine said...

Heather, I'm not sure how to phrase this because what I really want is to give you a big hug. And that's hard to put into words. I guess the best words are that I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this struggle and I am so very glad that you are improving. But it really needs some warm, squeezy hugs to go along with it.

Tina said...

Heather, it takes so much strength to share like you just did. I wasn't able to do it in my blog. I admire that you did it and that you did it with grace.

As you know, I have had an incredibly shitty year with my dad dying suddenly. I have been battling depression since it happened in January. It's the hardest thing in the world. There is nothing more lonely.

I have always known that Rob rules and I know your relationship will actually grow because of this hardship. My relationship with John is that much stronger since he's had to pick me up after I've fallen again and again in the past months. How comforting to know that our men can be strong for us when we need it most. We are so damn lucky. (But then again, they owe it to us after all these years...you with endless talk of celestial navigation and me with colonel sanders statues...ha ha.)

Heather, you are strong and incredible. You are also very normal. I'm by your side and I love you.

Robyn said...

My beautiful sister, you are NEVER alone!! I am so proud of you for facing this so bravely. I love you very much and while there may be 2500 miles between us, I am only a phone call away. You are an amazing sister, an incredible mom, a devoted wife, and a fantastic daughter... please don't ever forget that! We all love you so much and are always here for you.

Unknown said...

Heather, It was amazingly courageous of you to write about your experience. It's hard to understand what's going on when we're so far away, but the way you wrote about it makes it make a lot of sense. I'm sorry you had to go through the experience, but I'm so glad you reached out. You'll always have the support of your family and friends. We love you so much and I'm so glad that you're feeling better.

With respect to your wonderful mothering and sistering capabilities, I still have the message of you and Cole singing happy birthday to me from almost a year ago. I just listened to it the other day and it still makes me smile :)

Anonymous said...

My darling daughter, Thank you for sharing this experience so eloquently with all of us. It helps us to understand. As we now know, this is something you inherited from your grandmother, just as you inherited your beautiful eyes and fair skin. It's not something I would have chosen to pass on to you, but nature doesn't let us pick and chose. Just promise me that the next time the fog begins to creep in on "little cat feet", you will call me. I might not be able to dispel the mist, but I can meet you in Cole's hideaway and we can cry together. You are never alone. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Heather, I am so sorry this has happened to you. I admire you greatly for your willingness to write about it and I hope things continue to improve for you. Please keep up the blogging and let us know how you are doing. We all care.

Anonymous said...

Hi, far away friend. I debated about calling you instead of posting a comment, but I want you to know that I'm responding to your writing. I'll call too. I've been avoiding blogging about recent events in my family because I'm struggling to respect my mother's privacy. How can I write about my own depression without discussing hers? She's just been hospitalized again with major depressive disorder, this time including psychotic and paranoid features. You are doing absolutely the right thing by making your depression as public as possible. Now, you're accountable to all of us to follow your treatment plan, and you've started a conversation that your children can join when they're ready to. We'll talk more. This is Jen, by the way. I can't remember my blogger identity...